Monday, February 9, 2009

Distrito - Modern Mexican






On a whim I decided to join a group of new and old friends for dinner at Distrito last friday night. We had reservations at 8:45PM for a group 8. It was the best decision I made all week. I had been wanting to try Distrito for a while now having followed Jose Garces career since he started with the Starr group years ago at Alma De Cuba but just never made my way out to 40th and Chestnut Street until now.



I started out my night at the bar with Miss HAtT while we waited for the rest of the party to join us. She decided to try some strange drink that involved beer, salt, hot sauce, and chili powder called a Michelada. I couldn't quite get up the courage to try it and chose the much friendlier looking Paloma which was a grapefruit soda and a large shot of tequila. I think I won this round. My drink was tasty and I could mix as much or as little of the tequila with my mexican soda as I pleased.



We were seated promptly once everyone arrived and then had to decide on what to get. As it was more of a tapas styled menu there was much debate at the table as to how to order. Should we go family style and share the dishes or were there dietary restrictions that would make more sense for individual diners to order for themselves? We soon discovered that we all were quite adventurous eaters and had no major restrictions and decided to go with the tasting menu for the table. Again, winners all around!



The kitchen sent out what felt like a never ending slew of dishes. The tasting menu included chips and guacamole, shrimp ceviche, nachos, los hongos hauraches, ceasar salad, rabbit mole, tacos and carne asada platter. I loved the tacos and the rabbit mole. Also the carne asada platter was very tasty too. I would like to go into more detail but I think I suffered from food coma at some point and now have a hazy memory of the night. I just remember that the food was good and there was more than enough for the table and that the conversation was excellent. Lots of talking and tons of laughing with a good helping of poking fun at each other. Everyone at the table agreed that they enjoyed the food and I know that some of the diners there were not big fans of mexican food. I personnally would have liked a little more heat in my dishes but I'm a chili head at heart. I have posted pics of some of the dishes. Not every dish was able to be photographed as I got distracted by actually eating dinner and enjoying myself. I promise that my next post will be more appropriate for foodies.


No comments: