Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Ethiopian - Almaz Cafe


Recently, I discoverd Almaz Cafe located right in Rittenhouse. I had passed it plenty of times walking around or driving around that area as Miss HaTt recently moved to the neighborhood. I always thought it was some sort of internet cafe/coffee shop. It turns out that Almaz is indeed an internet cafe offering free wi-fi and the typical coffee drinks that a normal coffee shop would offer however it also has a selection of fresh fruit smoothies and authentic Ethiopian fare.

My first exposure to ethopian food was (like for most people I know) during my undergraduate years at UPENN. As an impressionable freshman, I was introduced to Ethiopian food by some upper classmen who had already wandered past the 40th street boundary into the badlands of West Philly. Baltimore Avenue was the heart and soul of what could be called "little ethiopia." And it was here that I ate my first meal of vegetarian fare at Dahlak. The lighting was dim, the location was exotic, slightly dingy yet oh-so-appealing to be off campus, I found the food to be decent. But it wasthe experience of eating from a communual platter using nothing more than my fingers and some spongy tangy flat bread, I discovered was called injera, that I loved and that lingered in my memories.

I recently dined at Almaz with Miss HatT after an exhausting evening of shopping in an attempt to single handedly boost the economy. Having run out of credit/cash and energy, we settled into this unassuming cafe with its bright green walls and ordered the vegetarian platter and at the suggestions of the woman behind the counter the chicken stew.

Let me just say, it was exactly what I needed. The service was warm and friendly and when the food arrived both orders plated on one large platter over a layer injera, I was delighted. The food looked and smelled amazing. The vegetable platter had a lentil dish, a cabage-carrot-potato stew, and some stewed kale or collard greens. THe chicken stew tasted earthy and satisfing. It came with a hard boiled egg and a little side of cottage cheese that surprising went well with everything. (it reminded me of the riata that is often served with indian food) Miss HaTt and I managed to devour the entire platter but were unable to finish the extra side of injera. I think we impressed the cafe owners. The food felt fresh and cooked with love and integrity.

It was refreshing to find a meal that cost us under $15 per person that tasted homecooked and had a good variety of vegetables and protein. It was hearty but felt healthy and not too heavy like a burger would have. If you find yourself in Rittenhouse and fancy an ethnic meal that taste good and is good for you...Almaz Cafe is definitely worth a try.

No comments: