Thursday, May 28, 2009

Yakitori Boy/ JAPAS



There have been few bars/lounges/restaurants that I can say that I whole heartedly love however Yakitori Boy/Japas has won me over. When I first found out that there was going to be another karaoke bar opening in Chinatown, I didn't give it much thought. Being an ABC(American Born Chinese) in Philadelphia, I've had plenty of exposure to seedy smoke filled karaoke bars that have popped up and died out over the years. These places in the past have always seem to attract the "wrong" crowd. I don't know what it was about these old karaoke places but something in the atmosphere would remind me of the underground world of the triads and brothels that made me keep my distance.

As I got older, I was exposed to other types of karaoke places in NYC that didn't have the same seedy underground feel. Most notably, I was introduced to JAPAS by a good friend of mine that had moved to NYC during his senior year at PENN. So when I discovered that the new karaoke/japanese restaurant that was opening on 11th street happened to also be a JAPAS, I was practically buzzing with anticipation for the grand opening.

Now a full year after their grand opening, I can say it is one of my favorite places in Philadelphia to spend an evening with my friends. The song list has been expertly updated to include titles from *gasp* the year 2000 to the present. The atmosphere is fun and the food good. They serve japanese food on the first floor which is Yakitori Boy and the second floor is called Japas and that is all the magic happens. A little sushi, some squid balls and of course some yummy skewers and you're good to go. Oh and don't forget the house rules - "sake bombs" for everyone :)

In Chinatown, with the exception of Vietnam Restaurant, it is rare to find the mixed clientele that I always see at Japas. The owners got the combination just right in this case. The decor is stylish and still asain themed without feeling too contrived, the staff is attentive and friendly, the bartenders know how to push the sake bombs enough so that you loosen up but not so much that you feel pressured and someone behind that bar expertly works the laser lights and smoke machine so that you often feel like you're giving a concert in the main room. It is an awesome place to sing your heart out when you've had a bad day and let me just say nothing makes me feel better after a little boy trouble like belting out a heatfelt rendition of Sinead O'Connor's "nothing compares 2U."

For some people singing in front of an audience is akin to torture and for those folks I'd say get a private room. A few hours of practice and you'll love singing in the main room. If you are looking to spend an evening with your friends and are tired of the same old bar scene, you really should get yourself over to Japas. Try it on a Tuesday night, it's dollar skewer day and dollar coors lights night.

No comments: