Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Are we human or are we dancer?



What is your definition of a real human being? I've struggled with the answer to this question everyday since graduating from college. And it's sad to say that was a long long long time ago. (Thank goodness I'm petite and asian and can still pass for an undergrad)

I remember having a conversation about the choice to be inked or not to be inked with a 21 year old while vacationing in Australia. This boy err man or maybe man-boy was obsessed with his tattoos. Some were in easy to spot places like the inside of his right wrist and others were not like the ones on his upper arm, across one side of his chest and one on his lower abdomen. I mentioned that night after one too many beers that I had always wanted a tattoo but the sheer magnitude of the decision as to what to actually get and where to put it on my body (where it would stay FOREVER) has pretty much forced me into indecision on the whole matter. I told him that I wasn't entirely convinced that it was possible to be a "real human" being if you had visable and obvious tattoos. And I was pretty sure that I should strive to be an real human. It seemed like a logical conclusion to me however he was fairly adamant that my definition of a "real human being" differed greatly from his. 

I only meant that being a person with large visible tattoos seemed to be the antithesis of what an adult should be. And for me a "real human being" = adult.  When I was a kid I thought for sure by the time I hit 30 I would have things all figured out. I didn't necessarily want a house in the burbs with 2.5 children and a white picket fence but I just thought that I would be an adult or at least feel like and adult... doing adult things like my parents. I wasn't sure of all the details but I thought that I would have a plan and a goal and direction.

I am now 30 years old with absolutely no idea of where I'm going, what I want and how to get it. All I know is that I have no ink on me anywhere and I don't think I'm any closer to being a "real human being" then my 21 year old visibly inked friend. Harrump....perhaps it's time to rethink this inking thing after all.

No comments: