Monday, June 22, 2009

Farmer's Markets

From food


Eating fresh produce has always been part of my life. The recent shift towards local and fresh produce and meats has lead to a proliferation of Farmer's Markets all across the city. When I used to live in Chinatown, I would frequently wander around Reading Terminal Market oohing and ahhing over the fresh veggies and meats that the Amish would haul in from Lancaster. But in the past few years there have been quite a few new markets in the area. There's one right in Rittenhouse Park on Saturday mornings. You can buy veggies, meat, diary, honey and baked goods. I've driven by one that is also on Saturdays right at Fitler Square Park. Clark Park also holds a huge farmers/flea market in Saturdays I am told but have yet to try it. Although now that I know that Honest Tom's taco truck is now a regular vendor there...I'm sure I'll also soon be a regular.

I am most familiar with the market that is held at Head House Square. Miss HatT, in her never ending quest to stay busy, decided to volunteer to man the booth at this market so I found myself visiting her on many a sunny Sunday. Let me warn you that this market is VERY popular and is often packed with people and their dogs trying to buy all the fresh veggies and baked goods and meats that the vendors bring in.

From food


I most recently found myself with a bag full of dinosaur kale, green squash and spring onions. I decided to make myself a bastardized version of a portuguese sausage soup that I once saw on the food network. The veggies I listed above were chopped up and thrown into a pot with some smoked keilbasi sausage and voila! my soup. I also added some orzo and frozen corn to round it out. It turned out pretty tasty and it was the perfect way to use up my Farmer's Market's finds.

From food

No comments: