Monday, June 22, 2009

TACOS for everyone




Growing up, I never had Mexican food of any sort unless you consider tacos made with ground beef seasoned with the "taco" seasoning packet that came in the box with the premade taco shells by Ortega from the supermarket to be Mexican. My mother would try her hand at Korean, Japanese and even Italian food however Mexican food was just never on the radar. It was probably because my father is not a huge fan of beans so I really had very little exposure to anything remotely authentic. The closest I had was Taco Bell's at the mall and even that stuff my father would refuse to eat. He would just wander over to the nearest Master Wok to get himself a plate of some good ole General Tso's chicken and fried rice rather than to be forced to eat beans.


Perhaps my under exposure to real authentic Mexican food in my youth is causing this unexplainable obsession in my old age. I seriously have a problem......I can't stop eating Mexican food. And I don't mean fancy Mexican ......you are much more likely to find me stuffing my face with a beef tongue taco at a dirty taqueria than eating at a fancy BYOB like Lolita's.


I have consistently managed to eat some sort of Mexican food at least once a week for the past 2 years. On Sundays, I can usually be found at Headhouse Squares farmers market standing in line either for the al pastor tacos or the haurauches or both if I'm feeling particularly gluttonous. I prefer the atmosphere and the food at the market rather than the actual restaurant which is located in the Italian market. I don't know what it is but everytime I get the tacos from this stand.....it's like I have a little piece of Mexican heaven. Even Miss HatT thinks it's weird how much I enjoy the tacos.


From food


La Lupe's over near the famous Pat's and Geno's has also become a regular haunt for me and Miss HatT.. She's really the only eating companion that I can drag consistently to these taquerias. Most of my other friends only indulge me a few times a year, Miss HatT will join me for my quest for the perfect taco almost all the time. I recently had the enchilada mole and beef tongue taco's at La Lupe and both were sooo good. Beef tongue tacos in general I find delicious. There's just something about the slightly gamey and rich yet beefy taste and springy texture of the tongue meat that just sends shivers of pleasure through my body when I eat these tacos. It's almost like a When Harry met Sally moment. I know it's strange and I really don't understand why I enjoy them that much..but I do.

No comments: